First of all we need to know that a network is a combination of different components . The most essential components of simple network are listed below:-
- Network operating system
- Server:- Servers are faster computer that run various software’s, store and process information and also provides a human interface for the user to be able to use the networked computers.
- Nodes :- Nodes are the computer on the network which are provided to the users to carry out their task using the network.
- Workstation :- A node which is more powerful , and can handle local information processing or graphics processing is called a workstation . The workstation works for the person sitting in front of it , where as server serves all the people on the network to share its resources . A workstation usually has an inexpensive ,small hard disk or having disk less workstation or having no disk drives of their own . Such terminals are also called as dumb terminals and they rely completely on the LAN for their access. The network operating system lets the nodes work as if all the resources at the server belong to the node itself.
- Network Operating System :- The network require some software to control all the transfer activity on the network , like the traffic police to control the traffic . The software called as NOS handles these tasks.
- LAN software :- On the network ,each computer is called a node or a workstation unless there are certain computers designed as servers . LAN cables connect all the nodes and servers together to form the network . In additions to local disk operating system , each node requires networking software that enables the node to communicate with the servers. In return , File Servers run network software the communicates with the nodes.
- LAN cable :- This is the medium or channel over which the information travels from computer to computer . The information travels from one computer to another onto the medium and then from the medium to another computer in the form of that it can be read.
- Network Interface Card:– Each computer contains a network interface card . This card is used to connect the cables to the computer . These cards can help the computer to transfer the data at a faster rate and in the form of packets . These cards are plugged into the computer motherboard . These cards are generally called as Ethernet cards.